07 April 2008

Work Life Balance















I've always been the one who champion proper work life balance. I think it's important to divide your time equally, or at least reasonably, between work and leisure. I read an article on this whilst studying in the UK and had a discussion with my mates about the very topic. The consensus was that, although many of us agree that we need time for ourselves, in reality only few of us actually do.

Work pressures, closing deadlines and deal-making opportunities often eat into our work life balance and often people readily forgo their time for leisure to satisfy their bosses or clients.

From my experience, it's very difficult to strictly adhere to a proper work life balance especially if you're working for someone. Living in a competitive environment dictates that you have to put in extra hours in order to get anywhere. Coming in to work at 9 and leaving at 5 just wouldn't cut it. I remember when I was working in Proton a long time ago. Work didn't really start until 5pm. That's when my then boss would be free to talk to his staff and give out work, call for meetings etc. It was a culture in there (at least in my department anyway) that looked up to people who stayed back after work, regardless if they had actual work or not. I was frequently asked to come on Saturdays (it was a 5-day week organisation, except for the production shift workers), to which I refused politely. In all honesty I did come on one Saturday, only to waste my time hanging around and doing absolutely nothing. No I didn't get to claim for overtime either...

Fast forward ten years, here I am in a property industry, having the same dilemma of keeping the work life balance right and pleasing my superiors at the same time. You know what? Now I can say, sod it! I do have life after work so if you want me to stay back, you gotta pay me! Yes, I couldn't care less if they think less of me, as I got other things to do, like making side income, attending to my family and friends, or simply just time alone for myself. Yes yes, I do have a life...barely. And I need to cherish what little of it I have.

So, what about you? Do you believe in a proper work life balance?

1 comment:

dja said...

tell me abt it :p